Leaving for college is, without a doubt, one of the most exciting moments of your life. You’re embarking on a brand new journey that will impact your future. Before you load up those boxes and head for campus, make sure you’re prepared.
How Do I Start Planning for College?
One of the biggest parts of moving to college is … well, moving! Many students have never lived away from home before heading to their university, so it can be a big adjustment. It’s important not to forget the right supplies and accessories if you want to be comfortable and successful.
While every dorm is different, this is a general list of things you’ll need to pack before setting out for college:
- This should include a mattress cover that protects from bedbugs, a comforter set, mattress pad, pillows, pillowcases, sheet set, and throw pillows/blankets.
- Additional seating, but nothing too bulky. A beanbag chair is a great choice.
- Alarm clock (good backup if you’re prone to snoozing your phone’s alarm).
- Appliances, such a coffee makers, toaster, microwave, mini-fridge (check your college’s rules first!). You may want to consider a fan for summers and a heater for winters depending on how cold and hot you get.
- Bulletin or dry-erase board
- Cleaning supplies. Bring disinfecting wipes, dish detergent, sponges, a broom/stick vacuum, dustpan, mop, duster, paper towels, etc.
- Closet organizer
- Non-permanent hooks and adhesive strips
- Clothes hangers and a shoe rack
- Curtain rods and curtains
- Full-length mirror
- Gaming consoles
- Trash cans
- Under-bed storage containers
- Laundry supplies, including hamper, detergent, bleach, softener, etc.
- Bath supplies, including shampoo, body wash, towels, shower shoes, caddy, razor, etc.
- Hygiene supplies, such as toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, perfume/cologne.
- Medications, including prescriptions and other over-the-counter items.
- Printer and ink
- Snacks and drinks
- Reusable food containers
- Eating utensils
- Laptop/tablet/phone and chargers or accessories
- Decorative items, such as like area rugs, posters, family photos, etc.
- Don’t forget to plan for all sorts of occasions – bring everything from swimming clothes to formal wear.
- Supplies for classes, such as pencils, binders, loose-leaf paper, printer paper, and USB drives.
Once you’re all packed, make sure you take care of any other preparations before you leave. Double-check any scholarship or grant information. Memorize a map of campus – especially if you need to check in at the registrar or housing office. Buy your textbooks as early as possible so you can avoid long lines and get a jumpstart on the important material.
Most important, be ready to study hard, have fun, and make memories of a lifetime. College is a great step toward your future, but it’s also a time to relish and grow.